What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Your web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome) then sends these cookies back to the website on each subsequent visit so that they can recognise you and remember things like personalised details or user preferences.
Cookies are used for a variety of purposes; they let you move between web pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improve your browsing experience.
They are referred to as session or persistent cookies, depending on how long they are used:
- Session cookies only last for your online session and disappear from your computer or device when you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies stay on your computer or device after the browser has been closed and last for the period of time specified in the cookie. These persistent cookies are activated each time you visit the site where the cookie was generated.
- Session cookies - a session cookie is used to keep track of your visit to headlinemoney. If your browser does not have this type of cookie enabled you will not be able to use our site.
- Functional (persistent) cookies - a cookie is placed on your device to check if you'd like to use our 'auto logon' facility to remember the site's logon details.
- Third party (persistent) cookies - headlinemoney uses Google Analytics to provide us with detailed metrics about the site's users. Using this tool helps us improve the site based on the capabilities of the browsers using it.
The links below take you to the 'Help' sections for each of the major browsers so that you can find out more about how to manage your cookies.
- Internet Explorer - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196955
- Firefox - http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Cookies
- Google Chrome - http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647
- Opera - http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
- Safari - http://www.apple.com/support/safari/
- Safari iOS - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677
- Android - http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=169022
- Blackberry - http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/32004/Turn_off_cookies_in_the_browser_60_1072866_11.jsp
- Windows Phone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/web/changing-privacy-and-other-browser-settings.aspx